Smart & Caring Community

A National Movement

“…Join me in imagining our country as it could be…a smart and caring nation, where all Canadians can succeed, contribute, and develop their talents to their fullest potential.”- Governor General of Canada, David Johnston

The Community Foundation of the North Okanagan has joined the national community foundations movement in response to Governor General David Johnston’s challenge to build a smarter, more caring nation in the lead-up to Canada’s 150th birthday in 2017.
The challenge inspired community foundations across Canada to launch Smart and Caring Communities—a nation-wide call to service with two objectives: to ensure every community is served by a community foundation by 2017, and to connect the country by establishing Smart & Caring Communities Funds at community foundations from coast to coast to coast. Learn more about the national Smart and Caring communities challenge at

The Community Foundation of the North Okanagan is delighted to invite you to invest in our community’s future through our Smart & Caring Community Fund. Each year income from this endowed fund will be used to increase our granting impact. In Spring 2014 we distributed close to $90,000 to local charities who applied for help with their valuable programs. With your support, we can increase that dramatically.

About 20% of the funding support the Foundation provides in the region is from our annual grant application process, with the remaining 80% distributed from “directed funds” where the donor has specified the recipient charities. The Foundation distributed over $400,000 in total for 2013/2014.

The genius of the Governor General’s challenge rests in its simplicity and flexibility. It compels us to use both our hearts and our minds to make this great nation even greater. The Smart & Caring movement connects us all – from coast to coast – in a sense of common purpose, strengthening our nation, one community at a time.

While we will always help donors support their favourite causes, we’re working hard to increase discretionary funds to enable the foundation to react to ever changing and immediate community needs.

There are so many ways to give. You can start a named endowment fund that will continue to provide income to our community forever, or you can give a simple one time donation of any amount at any time. Whether a gift is large or small, it all helps our community! For more information on our giving options click here.

To support the Smart & Caring Community Fund you can make a donation or contact Leanne Hammond.

Screen Shot 2014-10-22 at 10.20.52 AM

Leave a Reply